- South Fork Natural History Museum and Nature Center Open drawers and peek into windows as you amble through the little Bridgehampton museum (also called SoFo) to learn about animal habitats. Then walk along the Vineyard Nature Trail outside.
- Sag Harbor Whaling Museum Once the home of a wealthy whaler, this beautiful 1845 house now tells the tale of the troubling industry that changed the world through relics like scrimshaw (decorated whale teeth), maps, harpoons, and more.
- Goat on a Boat Puppet Theatre Also in Sag Harbor, this nonprofit hosts weekend puppet shows and weekday drop-in play groups and art sessions for tots.
- Agawam Park Love the playground here! Right on Lake Agawam in central Southampton.
- The Village Gourmet Cheese Shoppe Excellent, healthy, low-price breakfast wraps and sandwiches. In Southampton.
- Brewster’s Seafood Market Lobster rolls! Touch tanks for kids. In Hampton Bays.
- Hampton Coffee Company Cozy breakfast and lunch spot with three locations.
Where to stay: Southampton Inn is quiet, comfortable, and a few minutes by foot from both Agawam Park and the Village Gourmet Cheese Shoppe in town. Free shuttle to and from Cooper’s Beach, ranked one of the best in the nation!