Serves 4 | Total time: 40 min
- 4 large eggs
- 3 cups nonfat milk
- 8 oz Jarlsberg cheese, grated (about 2½ cups)
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 12 oz crusty bread, cut in 2" pieces
- 1 10-oz box frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 6 oz pre-cooked sweet Italian chicken sausage, chopped
- 1 14.5-oz can diced tomatoes, drained
1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat an 11" x 7" baking dish with cooking spray.
2. Lightly beat the eggs in a large bowl. Add the milk, cheese, salt, and pepper, and stir to combine. Add bread and toss until it is evenly coated with the mixture. Let it sit for 5 to 10 minutes, tossing occasionally.
3. Place half the bread in a single layer in the baking dish. Distribute the spinach evenly over the bread; top with the sausage and tomatoes.
4. Layer on the remaining bread; pour any leftover liquid in the bowl on top.
5. Bake for about 40 minutes, until puffed and golden; a toothpick inserted in the center should come out clean.