Makes 6 burgers
- ¾ cup brown lentils
- 2 cups water
- Salt and pepper
- 1 15.5-oz can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 tbsp mild chili powder
- ½ cup roasted, unsalted cashews
- ½ cup chopped red onion
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 to 2 tbsp finely ground cornmeal
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 potato rolls, toasted
1. Preheat oven to 375ºF. Line a baking sheet with foil. Combine lentils and water in a saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a gentle simmer. Cover and cook until lentils are tender, 25 minutes; drain. Season with salt and pepper.
2. Meanwhile, toss chickpeas with chili powder on prepared baking sheet. Bake until crunchy and starting to split, about 25 minutes.
3. Combine cashews, red onion, chickpeas, and ½ tsp salt in a food processor and pulse until it’s crumbly but holds together when squeezed.
4. Transfer cashew mixture to pot with lentils. Add egg and stir to combine. Let cool.
5. Form into 6 patties. Sprinkle outside of each with cornmeal.
6. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium. Cook patties until golden brown, about 2 minutes per side. Serve on potato rolls.
Photo Credit: Ryan Liebe