Serves 4 | Total time: 40 min
- 1 cup instant brown rice
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1½ cups chopped onion
- 3 bell peppers, chopped
- 3 celery stalks, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 1½ tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- ¼ tsp cayenne
- 2 14.5-oz cans diced tomatoes
- 2 Tbsp sherry vinegar
- 3 15-oz cans low-sodium black beans
- 1½ cups thawed frozen corn
Optional accompaniments: Chopped avocado, sour cream, cilantro, shredded reduced-fat Cheddar cheese
- Prepare rice according to package directions.
- Heat oil in a large pot set over medium-high. Add the onion, bell peppers, celery, and garlic, and cook until softened, 6 to 8 minutes. Add the chili powder, cumin, oregano, and cayenne, and cook, stirring, 1 minute. Add the tomatoes, vinegar, black beans, and corn and bring to a boil. Immediately reduce heat and gently simmer until the mixture is somewhat thickened, about 14 to 15 minutes.
- Serve over rice and top with any of the optional accompaniments.
Next Day's Lunch: Black Bean Burritos
- You’ll need: bean mixture, salsa, whole-wheat tortillas, shredded reduced-fat Cheddar
- Combine 1/3 cup bean mixture with 2 Tbsp salsa; place in tortilla; top with 2 Tbsp cheese. Roll up and wrap in foil.