Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 6 minutes
Serve these crunchy, flavorful burgers with the same garnishes you'd use on regular burgers — lettuce, tomatoes, pickles, and maybe a slice of cheese. They're a great source of fiber and protein, and you can add more of both by serving them in whole wheat buns. Serves 4-6.
What you need:
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 small red onion, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup plain bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 lightly beaten egg
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/3 cup yellow cornmeal
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
What to do:
- Drain the beans and coarsely chop in the food processor (or mash them by hand).
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the beans, tomato paste, onion, bread crumbs, balsamic vinegar, egg, salt and pepper. Mix very well.
- Form into 4-6 patties. Coat the patties with cornmeal and set on a plate.
- Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Cook the burgers for 3 minutes per side, until thoroughly heated. Garnish and serve.