What you need:
- 3 tart apples
- 1/3 stick butter
- 3 Tbs. sugar
- pancake mix (and water, milk, oil, or eggs, as directed)
- extra touches (optional; see below)
What to do:
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Parents only: Peel apples and cut into wedges. In a medium-sized skillet, melt butter, then add apples and sugar. Cook at medium-high heat until tender, about 4 to 6 minutes. Spoon apples and juices into an oven-safe casserole dish.
- Prepare batter for 10-12 pancakes (usually one cup of mix), following package directions. Kids can help measure and mix.
- If you like, add extra touches to the batter. Try these ideas or make up your own:
- Apple Mania: dried apples, applesauce, cinnamon
- Brisk Weather Warmer: pecans, maple syrup
- Circus Circus: caramel candy, chocolate chips
- Comfort Casserole: walnuts, raisins
- Pour the batter on top of the apples. Bake until brown and puffy, about 20-30 minutes.
- Serve hot or cold.
- Teaches cooking skills
- Offers practice in measuring and reading