Harry Potter is one of the most famous book characters in the world. The 7-book series has been translated into 67 languages! In honor of Harry Potter's birthday on July 31st, here's some trivia to test your wizardly knowledge of Harry's universe.
- What is Ravenclaw's motto? (Hint: The answer can be found in Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone.)
a. "____ will help you on your way to greatness."
b. "Wit beyond measure is man's greatest treasure."
c. "Their daring, nerve, and chivalry set _______ apart."
d. "Those patient ______ are true and unafraid of toil."
- What is the first sentence of the Hogwarts acceptance letter? (Hint: Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone)
- True or False: Dobby is the house-elf of the Blacks. (Hint: Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets)
- Who is NOT displayed on the cover of Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire?
a. Harry Potter
b. Sirius Black
c. Cedric Diggory
d. Albus Dumbledore
- True or False: Argus Filch is friends with Peeves the Poltergeist. (Hint: Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone)
- Which is more delicious and why: Chocolate Frogs or Bertie Bott's Every-Flavour Beans? (Hint: Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone)
- Who is more dangerous: Fluffy or Buckbeak? (Hint: Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone and Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban)
- Which year is Harry banned from playing Quidditch? (No hints. The book would give it away!)
- The portrait in front of the Gryffindor door is: (Hint: Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone)
a. The Beautiful Lady
b. The Fat Lady
c. The Happy Lady
d. The Musical Lady
- Who rescues Harry from the Dursleys after Dobby wreaks havoc in their kitchen? (Hint: Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets)
a. Fred, George, and Ron
b. Mr. Weasley, Ron, and Hermione
c. Ron, Hermione, and Hagrid
d. Hagrid, Dumbledore, and Ron
Check your answers!
- ANSWER: b."Wit beyond measure is man's greatest treasure."
- ANSWER: "We are pleased to inform you that you have been accepted at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry."
- ANSWER: False. Dobby was originally the house-elf of the Malfoys, but Harry freed him at the end of Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets. The house-elf of the Blacks was Kreacher.
- ANSWER: d. Albus Dumbledore
- ANSWER: False. Peeves always caused trouble not only for Filch but also for anyone nearby. Once, Peeves helped Ron, Harry, Neville, and Hermione escape from Filch, despite the fact that he was the one to alarm Filch of their breaking curfew.
- ANSWER: Chocolate Frogs win because: a) chocolate always wins, b) trading cards are awesome, and c) there is absolutely no chance of tasting earwax or rotten eggs!
- ANSWER: It depends on whether you have some music with you, or if you are disrespectful towards animals!
- ANSWER: Trick question! In Year 5, Harry, Fred and George were not allowed to play because Umbridge banned them for fighting with Malfoy. In Year 6, Harry first was injured, and then he served detention with Snape for cursing Malfoy.
- ANSWER: b. The Fat Lady
- ANSWER: a. Fred, George, and Ron
Image courtesy Warner Bros.