With Mother’s Day coming up on May 14th, we thought we’d help you get a jump on making mom feel special with these DIY ideas. Some are easier than others, so take your pick:
1. Breakfast in bed. It could be cereal, a bagel, fruit, OJ - even scrambled eggs or pancakes! Breakfast in bed is always a hit! Be sure to draw a heart on the napkin. Carry it all in on a tray (careful!). Coffee scores extra bonus points. And in case of emergency – a bag of mini-muffins totally counts as breakfast!
2. Coupon book. Cut out rectangles of construction paper and staple them together, ticket style. Write out “coupons” for things you can offer her. Some ideas for coupons: a back rub, doing the dishes, one chore of her choice, painting her nails, or 10 minutes of free time.
Mom will think it’s priceless, guaranteed!
3. A bag of all her favorite candy bars. Write a note that says, “You’re the sweetest mom ever.”
4. Search online for a “Mother’s Day Questionnaire” and have everyone in your family fill it out! Each family member can answer teh questions about Mom. What's her favorite color? What's her favorite thing to do? Why do we love her? And so on. She can keep it over the years as a keepsake.
5. Print out your favorite picture of you and your mom, and put it in a frame. You could even do a two in a folding frame: one zany pic, and one nice one.
6. Make stuff around the house that spells “MOM.” You could use Play-doh, blueberries at breakfast, or even sidewalk chalk outside your front door!
7. Make a handprint flower. Paint or finger paint your hand in a bright color. Press it against the top of a sheet of paper (this is the flower). Now draw a green stem coming down from it. Viola –a flower! Write your name and the year for added love.
And don’t forget: a poem is always a nice touch. Like this old favorite:
Roses are red
Violets are blue
I’m so lucky
To have a great mom like you!
Do you have any favorite gifts for Mother’s Day? Let us know YOUR best ideas in the Comments below!
-Ratha, Scholastic Kids Writer