How to Deal With Bullies
We care a lot about preventing bullying. I know every school has its groups and some kids don't fit in. Maybe they look different or act different, but NOBODY deserves to be bullied. If bullying is a problem in your school, you can make a difference. Don't let anyone be bullied, no matter who they are or how different they are from you.
Here are some tips for how you can prevent bullying in your school.
If you see someone being bullied . . .
- Look the bully in eyes and say, "Stop. That's not cool."
- Tell an adult. It is not tattling; it is protecting someone who is getting hurt. Also, kids are more likely to bully others if no one speaks out. As long as you're quiet about it, they can keep doing it.
- Be a good friend to the person being bullied. Go out of your way to be nice.
- Stick together with all the different kinds of people in your school, and stand up to bullies! Make your school a place where everyone belongs.
- Take the Anti-Bullying Challenge.
If you are being bullied yourself. . .
- Ignore the bully. Walk away. Don't give them the attention they want. This works for online bullies too. Avoid online drama! Walk away from the computer and don't reply.
- Stick together with the nice people in your school. Bullies feel stronger when they find you alone.
- Remember that you have rights. You have the right to feel safe and protected. It's the law and no one is allowed to take that away from you. If you don't feel safe at school, tell an adult.
- Tell an adult. Even if there is nothing they can do, it helps to tell someone how you feel. You do not have to suffer alone. You might feel ashamed about being bullied or even think it's your fault somehow. Trust me - it isn't. Don't let that stop you from telling an adult. Bullies want you to keep quiet so they can keep bullying you. Don't give them that silence. Speak up for yourself.
- Remember to be your own awesome self! Bullies want to make you feel bad about who you are, but don't let them! Be strong in your inner awesomeness.
- Join the Hand in Hand Anti-Bullying Club. It is a safe online forum for kids to support each other against bullying.
- When all else fails, read a book! Lots of book characters have faced bullies, and you can learn from their experiences. Click here for a book list of smart, brave, and strong characters who had to deal with bullies.
If you have a problem with bullies in your school, try these tips and leave a comment to let me know how it goes. Also if you have any others tips for how to prevent bullying, let us know.