1. TO ENTER: NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN. To enter the Heads Up, Stay Safe! Student Contest (the “Contest”), an Eligible Student (as defined below) must create a four-page magazine with articles, images and data illustrating the risks, dangers and consequences of distracted driving and walking. A cover sheet must accompany the magazine for the submission to be complete. Their teacher can submit entries online at scholastic.com/arrive-alive/contest or via email ScholasticSubmissions@scholastic.com between 12:01 a.m. Eastern Time (“ET”) on October 22, 2021, and 11:59 p.m. ET on January 14, 2022 (the “Entry Period”). The Submitting Teacher may either submit the entry electronically at the Contest website or via email to: ScholasticSubmissions@scholastic.com
The required fields on the cover sheet include Teacher’s Name, Teacher’s Email, Grade, School Name, School Address, School City, School State, and all names of students on the team. If those fields are not completed, the entry will be considered ineligible. An entry must be uploaded or postmarked between 12:01 a.m. Eastern Time (“ET”) on October 22, 2021, and 11:59 p.m. ET on January 14, 2022 (the “Entry Period”).
2. ELIGIBILITY: The Contest is open only to students in grades 6–8 in a public school, an accredited private school, or a home school in the state of Georgia, which is in compliance with the laws and regulations of its state/district and who are residents of the United States (an “Eligible Student”). The students’ entries may only be submitted by a student’s teacher (the “Submitting Teacher”). The teacher must be over 18 (19 in AL or NE) at the time of submission and residents of the 50 United States (or the District of Columbia). Employees of Scholastic Inc. (“Scholastic” or “Sponsor”), Georgia Department of Transportation International Incorporated, and members of their immediate families (parents, children, siblings, spouse) or family members living in the same household (whether related or not), their parents, subsidiaries, affiliates, and their advertising, promotion, and production agencies, manufacturers or distributors of Contest materials are not eligible to enter (collectively, “Sponsor and Promotion Parties”). Void where prohibited or restricted by law. Any person who attempts to defraud or tamper with the Contest will be ineligible for prizes. Each student may only enter once. The Submitting Teacher may only enter one submission per student for an unlimited number of students.
4. WINNER DETERMINATION: At the end of the Entry Period, a panel of qualified judges determined by Scholastic and Georgia Department of Transportation in their sole discretion will select winners from among all eligible entries based on the following criteria (“Judging Criteria”):
5. PRIZES: One Grand Prize Winning Student Team (“The Grand Prize Winners”) will win a plaque, a certificate of recognition and a $150 gift card to split among the team members. The winning team’s submitting Teacher will receive a $100 gift card. Three (3) Runner-Up Student Teams (the “Runner Up Winners”) for each eligible grade—6, 7 and 8—will receive a plaque and a certificate of recognition. Sponsor will notify the potential winners to confirm acceptance of the prize. If a potential winner does not agree to the obligations in these Official Rules, Sponsor may award that prize to another Eligible Student Team at Sponsor’s sole discretion (if another Eligible Student Team is chosen, the prior potential winner’s teacher will not receive his/her portion of the prize either). Winners will be notified on or about February 22, 2022. The prizes are non-transferable, non-assignable, and no alternative will be offered. Taxes on the prizes, if any, are the sole responsibility of the Winners and the teacher recipients.
6. GENERAL: By entering, the Eligible Student and/or Submitting Teacher (where applicable) agrees to release and hold harmless Sponsor, and Promotion Parties, and their respective parents, affiliates, subsidiaries, advertising and promotion agencies, prize suppliers, and all others associated with the development and execution of this Contest, and the respective officers, directors, shareholders, agents, and employees of the foregoing (collectively, the “Released Parties”) from any and all claims, injuries, damages, or losses to the person or property and/or liabilities of any nature that in any way arise from participation in this Contest or acceptance, use of the prize, participating in or traveling to or from any prize-related activity. The Winners, Eligible Students, the Submitting Teachers (where applicable) and the teacher receiving the teacher portion of the prize (if different from the Submitting Teacher) may each be required to sign and return an affidavit of eligibility and liability/publicity release within five (5) business days of notification attempt or an alternative winner may be selected. The Submitting Teacher represents and warrants that he/she has the right to grant the rights set forth herein.The Sponsor is not responsible for delays in receiving or responding to winner prize notifications and such winner may be disqualified at Sponsor’s sole discretion. Prizes will only be executed in and delivered to addresses within the United States. The Winners may be required to participate in reasonable promotional activities. By entering the Contest and/or accepting a prize, the Eligible Student or and Submitting Teacher (where applicable) grants to Sponsor and Promotion Parties and their designees the right to use his or her name, likeness, hometown, biographical information, school name, and entry for any lawful purposes, including advertising and promotional purposes, in any and all media now or hereafter known throughout the world in perpetuity without further notice, permission, or compensation, except where prohibited by law.
The Released Parties are not responsible for interrupted or unavailable network, server, Internet Service Provider (ISP), website, or other connections; for lack of availability or accessibility, or miscommunications due to failed computer, satellite, telephone, or cable transmissions or lines; for technical failure or jumbled, scrambled, delayed, or misdirected transmissions; for computer hardware or software malfunctions, failures, or difficulties; or for any other computer, network, technical, typographical, human or other error, problem, or malfunction related to or in connection with the Contest, including, without limitation, errors, problems, or malfunctions that may occur in connection with the administration of the Contest, the announcement of the prizes, the processing or judging of entries, or any Contest-related materials. The Released Parties are not responsible for any incorrect or inaccurate information, whether caused by site users, tampering, hacking, or by any equipment or programming associated with or utilized in the Contest and assume no responsibility for any injury or damage to participants’ or to any other persons’ computers (whether hardware or software), relating to or resulting from downloading materials or software in connection with this Contest.
If for any reason (including, but not limited to, infection by computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failures, or any other cause beyond the control of Scholastic, which corrupts or affects the administration, security, fairness, integrity, or proper conduct of this Contest) the Contest is not capable of being conducted as described in these rules, Scholastic shall have the right, at its sole discretion, to cancel, terminate, modify, or suspend the Contest.
7. WINNERS’ NAMES. The names of the Winners will be available on approximately March 25, 2022 and available until April 25, 2022. You may request this name by sending a self-addressed stamped envelope to:
Heads Up, Stay Safe! Contest
SNP—Scholastic Inc, Space 3-214
557 Broadway, 3rd Floor
New York, NY 10012-9888
CONTEST SPONSOR: Scholastic Inc., 557 Broadway, New York, NY 10012.
For any questions or concerns regarding this Contest, please contact ScholasticSubmissions@scholastic.com.