The HUNGER GAMES WRITING CONTEST
1. NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN. A PURCHASE WILL NOT INCREASE YOUR CHANCES OF WINNING. You can enter in one of two ways: 1) Print clearly or type an essay on 8 1/2 X 11 paper explaining how you would win the Hunger Games. Entries must be 500 words or less. All entries must include your name, address, age, gender, telephone number, and the name of the school you attend; entries must be mailed to The Hunger Games Writing Contest, Scholastic Inc., 557 Broadway, New York, NY 10012, or 2) Go to www.scholastic.com/thehungergames/contest, complete the form in this section and submit the form online to enter the Contest. One entry per person. All entries must be received by 5p.m. EST on May 15th, 2009. Scholastic Inc. ("Sponsor") assumes no responsibility for (a) lost, misdirected, damaged, stolen, postage-due, illegible, failed, incomplete, garbled, delayed or late entries or mail; (b) telephone, electronic, program, network, Internet, or computer delays, deletions, interruptions or other failures of any kind; or (c) any human error that may occur in the processing of any entry, nor are they responsible for any theft or destruction or unauthorized access to, or alteration of, entries, whether caused by the sender or any of the equipment or programming associated with or utilized in this Contest. Proof of online submission of the entry form does not constitute proof of delivery. In the event of a dispute regarding the identity of a person submitting an entry form, the entry will be deemed to be submitted by the Authorized Account Holder of the e-mail address at the time of entry. "Authorized Account Holder" is defined as the natural person who is assigned the e-mail address by an Internet access provider, on-line service provider, or other organization (e.g., business, educational institution, etc.) that is responsible for assigning e-mail addresses for the domain associated with the submitted e-mail address. All entries (and rights in the winning entries) become the property of Sponsor and will not be acknowledged or returned.
2. Contest open to legal residents of the 50 United States and the District of Columbia between the ages of 12-17 as of May 15th, 2009. Employees of Sponsor, its affiliates, subsidiaries, and their respective advertising, promotion, and fulfillment agencies, and the immediate families of each are not eligible to enter or win. Entrants and their parent/legal guardian must be available to travel on a date to be mutually agreed upon by the Grand Prize Winner and Sponsor in order to receive the benefit of the grand prize. Subject to all applicable federal, state and local laws. Contest is void where prohibited or restricted by law.
3. Entries will be judged based on the following equally-weighted criteria: originality and clarity in how well the entry communicates how the entrant would win the Hunger Games. Sponsor reserves the right, in its sole and absolute discretion, to disqualify any entries that are inappropriate for any reason, including without limitation, for depicting or mentioning sex, drugs, alcohol and/or inappropriate language. Judging will be completed on or about May 29th, 2009 by Sponsor, whose decisions on all matters relating to this Contest are final and binding.
4. Grand Prize: One grand prize winner and their parent/legal guardian will be flown to New York, New York on a date to be mutually agreed upon by the Grand Prize Winner and Sponsor. Sponsor agrees to pay for coach class airfare for winner and winner's parent/legal guardian between the major United States gateway airport closest to winner's residence and New York City, one night standard double occupancy hotel lodging, $500 food allowance and ground transportation while in New York City to and from the airport and to and from the event. One winner and their guardian will attend a lunch with Suzanne Collins at the Scholastic headquarters in New York City, and receive a signed, personalized copy of THE HUNGER GAMES, a signed, personalized Advanced Reader's Copy of CATCHING FIRE, plus a collectable mockingjay pin. Approximate retail value of grand prize $2,500.00. (Prize value may vary depending upon departure date and time of travel.)100 Runners up will receive an Advanced Reader's Copy of CATCHING FIRE and a collectable mockingjay pin. Approximate value of runners up prize: $25.00.Total approximate retail value of all prizes combined: $5,000.00. All travel is subject to availability. Sponsor is not liable for any expenses incurred as a consequence of a flight cancellation or flight delay. Schedules are subject to change without notice. Other restrictions and blackout dates may apply. The winner is responsible for payment of all federal, state or other tax liabilities (including income taxes) on any prize received. Since winner is a minor, prizes will be awarded in the name of minor's parent or legal guardian. All items and charges not otherwise described above, including but not limited to hotel room service, laundry service, beverages, merchandise, souvenirs, etc., local and long distance telephone calls, tips, gratuities, service charges and taxes, are the winner's sole responsibility.
5. Grand Prize Winner and his/her accompanying parent/legal guardian will be required to sign and return an affidavit of eligibility/release of liability within five (5) days of notification. Sponsor and its agencies shall not be liable for unsuccessful efforts to notify a winner. If a potential winner and his/her parent/legal guardian do not sign and return the affidavit of eligibility/release of liability within five (5) days from notification, or if the winner does not meet qualification criteria, Sponsor reserves the right to select an alternate winner. After Sponsor's reasonable attempt to award the prizes, any unclaimed prizes will not be awarded.
6. Prize is non-transferable, not returnable, and cannot be sold or redeemed for cash. No prize substitution except by Sponsor in case of unavailability, in which case a prize of equal or greater value will be awarded. By accepting the prize, winner agrees that Sponsor, its officers, directors, agents, and employees will have no liability or responsibility for any injuries, losses, or damages of any kind, including but not limited to death, injuries, damages or losses to persons and property which may be sustained in connection with this Contest, the receipt, ownership or use of the prize or while preparing for, participating in, and/or traveling to any prize-related activity, or accepting, possessing, using or misusing any prize, and they will be held harmless against any claims of liability arising directly or indirectly from the prizes awarded. Sponsor is not responsible if any prize cannot be awarded or enjoyed due to travel cancellations, delays or interruption due to weather, natural disaster, acts of war or terrorism or similar causes. By entering, participants warrant that their essays are their original work, entrant is the sole and exclusive owner of the essay, and that Sponsor's use of any essays submitted will not violate any rights of any other person or entity, including, without limitation, any copyright rights. Participants further agree to indemnify and hold Sponsor harmless from any claims arising from Sponsor's use of participants' submissions.
7. If the administration or integrity of the Contest is compromised or corrupted at any time, the Sponsor reserves the right to modify, suspend or cancel the Contest. Sponsor and its agencies shall not be liable for any injury or damage to an entrant's or any other person's computer related to or resulting from entering the Contest. By entering the Contest, entrants affirm that they have read and accepted these Official Rules. Any person attempting to defraud or in any way tamper with this Contest will be ineligible for prizes.
8. Winner will be notified by Sponsor via phone or mail on or about June 1, 2009. Except where prohibited, acceptance of a prize shall constitute and signify a winner's consent to the use of his/her name, address (city and state only), likeness, age, voice and/or photograph for any lawful purpose in any media, including online, in perpetuity without further notice or compensation. One or more winners may also be asked to attend and participate in media and/or public relations events (the "Media Events") designated by Sponsor and/or requested by various media outlets. Upon Sponsor's request, and subject to winner's availability, each winner agrees to participate in such Media Events without any further compensation. Sponsor shall have the right, in its sole discretion, to choose the winners it wishes to participate in such Media Events. By accepting the prize, all winners, whether or not chosen to participate in such Media Events, agree to release Sponsor and its affiliates, subsidiaries, distributors and agencies, and hold each of them harmless, from any claims relating to their selection, non-selection, participation or non-participation in any Media Events. Any person attempting to defraud or in any way tamper with this Contest will be ineligible for a prize.
9. WINNERS' LIST. For the names of the Contest winners go to Scholastic.com/thehungergames/contest on or about June 8, 2009, or send a self-addressed stamped envelope after June 1, 2009 and before July 15, 2009 to: Hunger Games Writing Contest Winners, 557 Broadway, New York, New York 10012.
10. Sponsor: Scholastic Inc., 557 Broadway, New York, NY 10012