Kim Culbertson Author Visit Kit
Kim Culbertson is the author of the YA novels The Possibility of Now, Catch a Falling Star, Instructions for a Broken Heart (winner of the 2012 Northern California YA Book Award), and Songs for a Teenage Nomad. Kim holds a Masters in Curriculum and Instruction and has been teaching high school since 1997. In addition to working on her next YA novel, Kim currently teaches Creative Writing at Forest Charter School in Northern California where she lives with her husband, a school principal, and their daughter.
Kim is happy to design a workshop to fit your needs. She has three types of programs to use as the foundation of her visit or you can choose a mix of all three:
- Author Talk: This workshop is a general discussion of being an author ending with a standard Q&A type format.
- Writing Workshop: Kim can teach a creative writing workshop for your students using excerpts from YA books as a way to discuss the Writer’s Toolbox: voice, character, setting, plot, and sensory detail.
- Specific Booktalks: Kim can lead a talk on one of her books for your classroom.
Conferences & Festivals
Kim is available for conferences and festivals. She will happily sit on panels of any kind relating to YA Literature and/or teaching YA in the middle school and high school classrooms. She especially loves discussing the following:
- Bundling YA books with classics in the high school English classroom.
- Writing about love and while it’s not all just about smooching (though that part is good too).
- The role of independent reading in the 6–12 classroom and how to build a YA book list for your classroom.
- Why books with girls as the main characters are not just for girls!
Kim is happy to connect virtually for a Q&A with your classroom/event/library/book club for a 30 minute visit.
Kim is naturally loud (just ask her family), but if it’s a big space, a microphone can be really helpful. If she’s doing a writing workshop for you, she will most likely need a CD player so she can play some music for writing prompts. She always brings her own computer. It’s kind of a security blanket thing.
For rates and fees please fill out our Author Request form and the Author Visits Manager will respond shortly.
Schools and libraries that host authors/illustrators are eligible for discounts on books for the scheduled visit. To pre-order books at a 40% discounted rate please contact Scholastic Customer Service in Jefferson City, Missouri. via phone at 1-888-724-1872 X 8015 OR via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.