Organizing Your Classroom Library: Colored Baskets
- Grades: 3–5
I have found that nothing creates a more effective reading workshop than an organized library. Every teacher organizes her library in her own way, but you may find this idea helpful if you are trying to organize your own.
In my classroom library, colored baskets represent different sections of the library.
- All books in red baskets are fiction picture books.
- All books in blue baskets are chapter book series.
- All books in yellow baskets are chapter books that are not part of a series.
- All books in green baskets are non-fiction books.
- All books in the white baskets are math stories.
- All books in the orange baskets are poetry stories.
- We do Reading Partnerships in our classroom, so all double-copy books are kept in on a special bookshelf.