Writing With Scientists Teacher's Guide
Provide students with step-by-step support to transform a collection of notes, observations, research, and experiments into a well-organized, thorough, and thoughtful science report.
- Grades: 3–5, 6–8
Host Dr. Susan Perkins, a microbiologist at the American Museum of Natural History in New York City, shares her experience taking lizard parasite research from idea phase to published report. Students can listen to her story and read along.
- Describe their big question and hypothesis
- Clearly explain research and information
- Present and analyze their results
- Use scientific vocabulary accurately
- Communicate new questions
- Show sources in a bibliography
- Publish their science report online to be shared with a whole community of student scientists
Lesson Plans for this Unit
Lesson 1: From Brainstorm to Published Paper