Working Together As a Team
Turn the tables and let your class govern itself.
- Grades: 1–2
In the first weeks of school, we establish the rules of the game. This month, my students will collaborate to design their own positive classroom-learning environment as they choose Classroom Managers and write their Classroom Constitution. Through teamwork activities and books, students will recognize the importance of having leaders and rules to maintain order at home, at school, in their community, and in their country.
- Participate in the establishment of a "student-centered" classroom.
- Create a list of classroom jobs and descriptions they think are needed in the classroom.
- Evaluate the importance of classroom jobs.
- Become acquainted with duties and responsibilities of each classroom job.
- Complete a Classroom Manager Job Application.
- Hold a Classroom Manager position sometime throughout the school year.
- Create a "working" Classroom Constitution that governs the classroom and supports school rules, policies, and procedures.
- Develop a maximum of six positively stated rules or Classroom Standards.
- Help edit and revise the final draft of the Classroom Constitution.
Lesson Plans for this Unit
Hold a "New Hire Orientation" and present students with badges indicating their chosen Classroom Manager positions for which they were "hired."