A Week of Winter Weather
Students learn about winter weather through scientific investigation, vocabulary lessons, and poetry writing.
- Grades: PreK–K, 1–2
Through a week of activities, children investigate aspects of winter weather, such as temperature and wind. Children familiarize themselves with weather-related words.
- Learn winter weather vocabulary
- Write about a weather experience
- Learn about thermometers and freezing point
- Practice taking temperature readings with a thermometer
- Discover the properties of wind
Lesson Plans for this Unit
Lesson 1: Winter Weather Week Day 1: Weather Words
Lesson 5: Winter Weather Week Day 5: Follow Up
Assessment of Skills and Knowledge
Group assessment will take place by asking children to respond orally to questions about what makes the wind and how is air temperature measured. Children's work from the Assignment section will also be reviewed and discussed.
Teacher Reflection About Lesson
- Was the estimated time sufficient to complete the lesson?
- Did children improve their weather vocabulary?
- Did they understand how to read a thermometer and connect air temperature to the concept of cold weather?
- Was the outdoor activity too chaotic?
- Did children understand that the change in air temperature causes the wind to blow?
- Did children express their understanding of winter weather in their Assignment work?