Watch Your Step!
- Grades: PreK–K
- Examine the physical characteristics of insects and spiders
- Understand the various ways in which insects move: jump, fly, crawl, or swim.
- Observe and record the metamorphosis of one or more insects
- Contrast the larva and adult insect
- Sequence the life cycle of an insect.
Lesson Plans for this Unit
Students write or dictate poems about the insects they created and then perform them for their parents at our annual Bug Bash. Prior to this event, students make the following “insect” delicacies that will be served.
Bug Bash Menu:
Ants on a Log: peanut butter on celery with raisins
Ladybug Cupcakes: bright red-frosted cupcakes with five chocolate chips for spots and six stick pretzels for legs
Nectar Juice: fruit juice sipped through a straw poked through the center of a paper cut-out flower