A Waikiki Welcome Back
By Renea Shuey
- Grades: 3–5, 6–8
Get kids excited about coming back to school through engaging activities that create classroom community, build presentation and writing skills, and teach about Hawaii. Students will explore the culture, history, and economic significance of our 50th state. Students will develop and demonstrate knowledge through an Internet scavenger hunt, then apply that information to the creation of a travel brochure and itinerary. The classroom luau will serve as both an opportunity to present their work to the class and a captivating culminating activity promoting a sense of teamwork.
- Become team players
- Discuss, recommend, and evaluate classroom rules
- Refresh and build upon Internet skills
- Gather data regarding the history, culture, and economics of Hawaii through Internet research
- Examine printed materials used by travel agencies to promote tourism to Hawaii
- Discuss how information presented in travel brochures and itineraries educate and persuade visitors to visit Hawaii
- Locate information with the use of various sources
- Present travel brochure and itinerary in an oral presentation
- Participate in a Hawaiian luau
Lesson Plans for this Unit
The unit will culminate with a festive classroom luau featuring the language, music, dance, and foods native to Hawaii. Parents will be invited to attend and participate.