Standardized Test Preparation: Be Prepared — Not Scared!
- Grades: 3–5
- Apply strategies learned in class to formal assessments
- Increase knowledge of time management skills during assessments
- Understand the purpose for participating in standardized tests
- View the annual standardized test as "just another test"
- Emulate their teacher's attitude toward the test
Lesson Plans for this Unit
Lesson 1: Preparing for Success
When you have completed your standardized testing, help students celebrate their successes. Set aside class time for students to discuss their thoughts and feelings about the test. Talk about what they did well and what was challenging. Although many schools and teachers like to throw a "party" to celebrate the end of testing, I prefer not to do so. After putting great effort into convincing students this is just another test, I believe having a party sends a contradictory message. When the results come in, I share overall success trends that the class demonstrated, while reminding them how far they've come during the year.