Students take an in-depth look at animals with shells.
- Grades: PreK–K, 1–2
I have created an instructional unit about shells because so many of our students go to the beach on vacation. The students will learn about three different types of shells and the animals that live in them. This unit can go along with vertebrates/invertebrates during science. You can also branch out with different types of shells.
- Learn about hermit crabs and their shells
- Design a shell for a hermit crab
- Write a short story about a day in the life of a hermit crab
- Research snails with a walk around the room activity
- Experiment and research how the snail moves and how fast it travels
- Research a type of turtle and create an informative poster about it
- Write a story about a time they "came out of their shell"
- Complete a wordsearch