Set the Stage for Testing Success
- Grades: 3–5
- Unit Plan:
Use test-taking strategies to enhance their performance on tests.
Text to come.
Set Up and Prepare
This month there isn't anything to set up and prepare because these strategies take place all through the year in all subjects. Familiar procedures that students have practiced for many months make them more comfortable when the day of the big test comes. By taking the mystery out of test taking, students become more at ease with tests and look forward to the challenges they provide.
I tell my students often that a test is only a "snapshot" of what they knew on that day, at that time. It doesn't define them as a student or a person, but rather gives an insight as to what they may know. They're very relieved to know that they can't fail fourth grade because of "the test"!
Organizational skills used for teaching students how to study are very helpful to test takers. Any of these skills could be a lesson extension or a whole unit.
- Are the strategies relevant to what the student is learning?
- Are there any areas that seem to be particularly weak?
- Are the students making effective use of the highlighting technique?
- Are the students able to use the strategies taught with some degree of proficiency?
- Is there a steady improvement in the students' confidence and proficiency as a test taker?
- Is each student's ability to complete the tests in the allotted time steadily increasing?