- Grades: 9–12
Students develop their own career portfolio through instruction on resume writing, completing a job application, and proper interviewing tips.
- Gain knowledge of the social context surrounding J.K.Rowling’s biography
- Compile information about author J.K.Rowling into a resume
- Gather, compile, analyze, and categorize information about personal interests, skills, activities, careers, and achievements in order to create a career-related portfolio
- Record information to be used in the creation of a resume
- Learn appropriate resume techniques
- Examine the “Do's and Don’ts” of completing a job application
- Exhibit appropriate behavior during a mock job interview
Lesson Plans for this Unit
After creating their career portfolios, allow your students to further reflect about their life experiences by practicing their college and scholarship essay-writing skills. Using the activity Writing and Scholarship Planning for College-Bound Students, students connect an anecdotal event to the essay topic: Describe an event or experience that had a positive influence on the way that you approach financial management. Enter them into the essay contest by April 11, 2007 and they could win a college scholarship!