Researching the Human Body Systems
- Grades: 3–5
- Unit Plan:
- Students will comprehend concepts related to health promotion and disease prevention.
- Students will demonstrate the ability to access valid health information and health promoting products and services.
- Students will demonstrate the ability to practice health enhancing behaviors and reduce health risks.
- Students will demonstrate the ability to use interpersonal communication skills to enhance health.
- Students will demonstrate the ability to advocate for personal, family, and community health.
- Use appropriate Internet resources to research and investigate assigned body systems.
- Present a research report to a group of peers.
- Be assessed on oral presentation skills.
- Successfully complete a MCAT assessment with a score of 85% or above.
Part I: Let the Research Begin
- Students will be admitted into an online medical program of study. I have attached a University Acceptance Letter for you to use (PDF). In our room, this will be called The University of Bunyi. A total of five medical departments will be available for students to apply for: Ophthalmologist, Neurologist, Orthopedic Specialist, Cardiologist, and a Pulmonary Specialist.
- Students will receive the Human Body Project Packet (PDF). This will include a welcome letter and program requirements for graduation from the medical program.
- Using approved Internet sites under the University of Bunyi, students will be allotted time in the media center to prepare for the upcoming MCAT (Medical Classroom Admission Test) and research paper.
- Students will also be permitted time in the library to collect and record medical research information.
- Additional time outside of the classroom will be required, resulting in a mid-term consultation with their advisor (teacher). The advisor will recommend needed progress in order to complete their medical program of study. This includes an ethical talk about providing credit and using resources appropriately.
Part II: Present Your Findings
- Students will type up a 1.5-2.5 page research paper for their peers. Guidelines provided within the Human Body Project Packet (PDF) will be followed.
- Additional resources may be used for extra credit and are provided in the packet.
- The teacher advisor will assess the presentation on accuracy, fluency, and overall presentation.
- Students will be notified, if work was acceptable, whether they will prepare for the MCATS or revise presented works first.
Part III: Preparing for Medical Residency
- Students will be provided a study guide for each of the medical program areas. Here is a sample package under the Ophthalmologist program (PDF).
- Students will complete the MCAT examination in the classroom. An 85% or above will be required to proceed for a medical residency in the classroom.
- Upon successful completion of the examination a MCAT certificate will be presented and awarded.
- Students will prepare for their last component of their program- medical residency. Medical residency duties include working with a medical specialist to dissect and observe various mammal organs.
Supporting All Learners
For students with special needs, the typed research paper should be modified. This may include a shorter length and/or less demanding oral presentation.
You can create a panel of peers to model the university thesis process. Peers can then help assess presentations in the classroom.
Research will be required outside of class-time. Students will be encouraged to contact doctors' offices for pamphlets and resource materials for their presentations.
- Students will write a 1.5-2.5 research paper.
- Students will research a component of the human body and collect facts to share with the class.
- Based on mid-term meetings, was this a strong indication of successful presentations?
- Was there evidence of additional resources being used for presentations?
Grading for this project will be rubric-based. The rubric is located in the Human Body Project Packet (PDF). Works considered less than satisfactory will require revision before medical residency can occur.