By Jan Tankey
- Grades: PreK–K, 1–2
Students observe growth and decomposition while learning about and growing pumpkins. This theme is tied to both literacy and math lessons during the pumpkin season.
- Learn about the life cycle of a pumpkin.
- Observe growth and decomposition.
- Learn where food comes from.
- Practice early reading skills through a shared reading.
- Estimate the circumference of a pumpkin.
- Compare their estimation to those of their classmates.
- Measure familiar objects in the school.
- Record measurements.
Lesson Plans for this Unit
Have a Pumpkin Party and eat some of the many foods that can be made with pumpkins. Invite students to bring Jack-o-lanterns to set the mood.