By Jan Tankey
- Grades: PreK–K, 1–2
About this book
Grade Level Equivalent: 2.4
Guided Reading Level: NR
Age: Age 6, Age 7, Age 5
Genre: Rhyming Story, Realistic Fiction
Subject: Outdoor Activities and Recreation, Autumn Themes, Halloween, Plant Life Cycles
Students observe growth and decomposition while learning about and growing pumpkins. This theme is tied to both literacy and math lessons during the pumpkin season.
- Learn about the life cycle of a pumpkin.
- Observe growth and decomposition.
- Learn where food comes from.
- Practice early reading skills through a shared reading.
- Estimate the circumference of a pumpkin.
- Compare their estimation to those of their classmates.
- Measure familiar objects in the school.
- Record measurements.
Lesson Plans for this Unit
Have a Pumpkin Party and eat some of the many foods that can be made with pumpkins. Invite students to bring Jack-o-lanterns to set the mood.
Dec 31, 1969