Public Speaking in English Class
- Grades: 9–12
English class must develop students' speaking skills in addition to skills in reading and writing. The creative and fun topics of the speeches in Lessons 1 and 2 will inspire students' interest, help them to become comfortable speaking in front of an audience, and give them practice writing and delivering good speeches that inform and capture their listeners' attention. The Group Product-Pitch Presentation encourages students to merge their public speaking skills with their reading and writing skills.
- Work cooperatively
- Make and explain connections between quotes and personal lives
- Display active listening skills
- Develop collegial relationships with classmates
- Organize information by creating key word/phrase outlines
- Make verbal and visual presentations
- Use rubrics for peer feedback and evaluation as well as self-reflection
- Think critically
Lesson Plans for this Unit
Lesson 1: Either/Or Speech
Lesson 2: Quotation Response Speech
Lesson 3: Group Product-Pitch Presentation
Have students work in pairs to create a speech about a pressing social issue. Together they must take a stance on some aspect of the issue, create a visual aid(s) in support of their position, and share a 3-4 minute verbal presentation in which they explain their issue and their stance. Audience members should complete peer feedback rubrics.