My Tooth Is About to Fall Out Extension Activities
- Grades: PreK–K, 1–2
STRONG TEETH (Science)
This experiment shows children how the acid from the germs in their mouth can dissolve the calcium in their teeth and weaken them.
You will need: white vinegar, plain water, two pieces of eggshell, two cups
- Put one piece of eggshell in a cup.
- Cover this eggshell with a few tablespoons of vinegar.
- Put the other piece of eggshell in the second cup.
- Cover this piece with a few tablespoons of plain water.
- Soak the shells for a few days. Then have children feel them. Ask: Which one is still hard? Which one is soft and weak?
- Put the soft eggshell back in the cup with the vinegar. Leave it until all the vinegar evaporates. Then have children look at it. Ask: Is there a white powder at the bottom of the cup? What do you think this is? [The white powder is calcium. The calcium was removed from the eggshell (the teeth) by the vinegar (the tooth-germ acid).]