In My Garden Sing Along
- Grades: PreK–K
- Unit Plan:
After completing the unit plan, students will:
- Gain the knowledge and skills to select a diet that supports health and reduces the risk of illness and future chronic diseases. ~ Massachusetts Health Curriculum Framework
- Identify a variety of fruits and vegetables and how they are grown and harvested.
- Identify the connection between food served in the home with regional food production. ~ Massachusetts Health Curriculum Framework
- chart paper
Set Up and Prepare
- Use chart paper to write out the verses to In My Garden (PDF).
- Add illustrations of the featured plants and foods to the chart.
- Post the chart in your meeting area.
Gather students in the meeting area and have a discussion about the kinds of food they might grow in a garden. Talk about the parts of the plant that are edible and where they might find those parts. Read through In My Garden chart with students before singing as a class.
Supporting All Learners
Have ingredients written on sentence strips with pictures of the vegetables as visual cues. Pre-teach soup cooking in your dramatic play center, using plastic vegetables.
- Have students write new lines to the song and share them with classmates.
- Perform the song for neighboring classes.
- Have students create their own illustrations for the song.
Send home a copy of the song for children to share with parents. Submit student photos and illustrations, with song lyrics, to your school newsletter and include them in your class newsletter.
- Make a list of vegetables you find in your home refrigerator.
- Make papier mache vegetable props to use in the song.
- Was I clear in my directions?
- Was I prepared and set up with the proper materials?
- Would I do anything differently next time?
- Are students engaged and on task?