The Many Ways I Use Poetry
- Grades: 3–5
- Poetry is meant to be read aloud. Reading poetry daily is a great way to familiarize students with a variety of poetry styles.
- Create a section in your classroom library that is dedicated to poetry. Multiple copies are great because students love to read the poems in tandem.
- Poetry is a great medium for repeated reading. It not only allows for short amounts of texts that can be reread often, but it is enjoyable to read repeatedly. Repeated reading is a way to increase students' fluency.
- RAP: encourage students to read and write RAP (Rhythm and Poetry).
- Celebrate when students write their own poetry. Having a snack or drink (Poetry and Punch) will create a party-type atmosphere and add to the celebration of sharing students' authored poems.
- Memorizing meaningful poems as a class is a great classroom management tool. Reciting a few lines and having students join in is a way to get their attention.