Teaching Slam Poetry
Students discover the fun and flexibility of poetry through poetry slam examples, studying the elements of poetry, identifying the poetry in song lyrics, and writing their own "odes."
- Grades: 6–8
Students will begin a very exciting journey into the world of poems by learning the basic elements of poetry. They will experience and learn these elements by reading various poems; listening to music lyrics and ultimately creating their own poetry for the annual poetry slam…I call mine the "Lopezland Poetry Slam." A poetry slam is a culminating project that allows students to show off their ability to incorporate the elements of poetry into their own poems. Through writing and speaking poetry, students develop oral language and presentation skills.
- Be exposed to the format of a Poetry Slam.
- Hear several examples of unexpected poetry.
- Demonstrate an understanding of standard-specific poetry elements and vocabulary.
- Demonstrate an ability to respond, analyze and think critically about poetry.
- Write an "Ode" using the concepts covered.
Lesson Plans for this Unit
Lesson 1: Introduction to the Poetry Unit
Lesson 2: What Are the Elements of Poetry?
Lesson 3: Poetry in Song