Literature and History of the Holocaust
Through an inquiry-based unit, students explore World War II and the Holocaust, learning about the human spirit and how it helps people to overcome diversity and conflict.
- Grades: 3–5
There is much to be learned about human nature, both good and bad, through a unit of study on the Holocaust.
- Access prior knowledge of the Holocaust
- Examine quotes and text passages related to the Holocaust
- Generate a list of questions about the Holocaust
- Analyze a piece of writing based on the authorship of the work
- Utilize the Internet to learn about an author
- Infer the meaning of a poem
- Determine an author's purpose
Lesson Plans for this Unit
Lesson 1: Introduction to a Study of the Holocaust
Throughout this unit students will read a variety of literature. Have students prepare a poster about one of the books they read with a paragraph explaining how the book relates to the unit. Hang these posters in a hallway and invite other classes to do a "gallery walk" of the posters.