Liberty and Justice for All
Use this unit plan to promote discussion about tolerance through research and study of the Civil Rights movement.
- Grades: PreK–K, 1–2, 3–5
Students explore significant events of the Civil Rights movement during the 1950s and 1960s and discover why everyone deserves to be treated respectfully and fairly.
- Explore details of the Civil Rights movement
- Research and discuss significant historical figures and events of the Civil Rights movement
- Sequence these significant events in a timeline
- Discuss the importance of appreciating individual differences
- Learn two new vocabulary terms: segregation and supremacy
Lesson Plans for this Unit
Allow students to visit other classrooms to share their timelines while reading their paragraphs about the Civil Rights movement.