Let's Take Care of Our Teeth!
Students learn the necessary steps for keeping their pearly whites clean and healthy.
- Grades: 1–2, 3–5
- Unit Plan:
Students will identify how to take care of teeth.
- Students will identify types of teeth.
- Students will list ways to take care of teeth.
- Students will create a chart of dental care.
Step 1: Read Staying Healthy: Dental Care aloud to the class.
Step 2: On chart paper or on the Idea Web, list kinds of teeth, tools, people, and behaviors associated with dental care. This web of terms will be used as a resource for the next activity.
Step 1: Divide the class into groups.
Step 2: Give each group five small tooth-shaped papers.
Step 3: Each group should write five actions associated with dental care on their papers. (brushing teeth, flossing, going to the dentist, etc.)
Step 4: When the groups are done, bring the class back together to play Dental Charades.
Step 5: Collect all of the tooth-shaped papers in a large hat or bucket.
Step 6: Seat the class on the floor and ask the students to come up to the front of the class one at a time. Each child should draw a piece of paper from the hat or bucket and act out the action written on the paper. The rest of the class should attempt to guess the action. Note: Younger students or students with reading difficulties may need you to read the term aloud to them.
- Have students tell three facts about dental care.
- Was there enough time?
- Were the students successful or frustrated writing about dental care actions?
- How effective was the Dental Charades game? What did I learn from watching the students play the game?
- Were students able to list dental care items?
- Were the groups able to write five dental care actions?
- Were the students able to dramatize dental care actions?