Let's Take Care of Our Teeth!
- Grades: 1–2, 3–5
- Unit Plan:
- Students will identify how to take care of teeth.
- Students will identify types of teeth.
- Students will list ways to take care of teeth.
- Students will create a chart of dental care.
- Large paper tooth for brainstorming words (add to the one from the previous lessons)
- Small tooth-shaped paper
- Kidspiration software
- Large screen TV or projector
- Staying Healthy: Dental Care by Alice B. McGinty
Set Up and Prepare
- Have Kidspiration software ready to use on the computer.
Step 1: Read Staying Healthy: Dental Care.
Step 2: Using Kidspiration™ on a computer connected to a large screen TV (or use chart
paper) list kinds of teeth, tools, people and behaviors associated with dental care. This will create a web of terms.
Step 3: Print the Kidspiration™ web in outline form. This will be used as a resource for the next activity.
Step 1: Divide the class into groups.
Step 2: Give each group five small tooth-shaped papers.
Step 3: Each group should write five actions associated with dental care on their papers. (brushing teeth, flossing, going to the dentist, etc.)
Step 4: When the groups are done, use these papers to play Dental Charades.
Learn more about teeth and play dental health games with these fun Web sites.
- Have students tell three facts about dental care.
- Was there enough time?
- Were the students successful or frustrated writing about dental care actions?
- How effective was the Dental Charades game? What did I learn from watching the students play the game?
- Teacher Observation: Were students able to list dental care items? Were the groups able to write five dental care actions? Were the students able to dramatize dental care actions?