Kiki: My Stylish Life Lesson Plan
- Grades: PreK–K, 1–2
About this book
About the Book
Kiki, a member of the Lotus Lane Girls Club, is a true fashionista. Written in diary format, Kiki tells of the activities she and her friends engage in such as scrapbooking, doggie day spa, cupcake baking, and of course, pajama parties.
- Tell students that they will have the opportunity to read about a group of girls who have formed the Lotus Lane Girls Club. Share the first book in the series, about Kiki.
- Open up the book and point out the different text features such as captions, abbreviated words, quotes, dialogue boxes, and graphics.
- Point out how new vocabulary and interesting words are shown throughout the book. Have students mark these pages with a sticky note to revisit after reading. (RL 2.7: Use information gained from the illustrations and words in a print or digital text to demonstrate understanding of its characters, setting or plot.)
- Have students think about their strategy for reading what is presented on the pages.
- Ask students to describe which text features they most enjoyed and why. What were their strategies for reading the additional text?
- Have students write down the traits for each character on a chart that can be added to as other books in the series are read.
Create a Scrapbook: One of the things that the Lotus Lane Girls Club enjoys doing is creating scrapbook pages. These pages should be ongoing as each book is read, with one or more pages devoted to each character. Some of the information could include:
- Personality traits of each character
- Appearance of the character(s)
- Challenges faced by character(s) and how they were resolved
- Words that describe the character
Have students think about the layout and design of their scrapbook pages as well as color and images. (RL 2.3: Describe how characters in a story respond to major events and challenges.)