Keeping Our Community Clean
- Grades: PreK–K, 1–2
- Assortment of art materials such as crayons, markers, paints, construction paper, pipe cleaners, glue, and scissors.
- Large piece of white butcher paper
- Children will take a closer look at the environment and their community and explore ways to take care of it
- Children will cooperatively create a visual representation of their discoveries
How can we keep our earth beautiful? Encourage children to brainstorm ways they can take care of the Earth. Record ideas onto chart paper.
- Explore your community by taking a "nature" walk. (If you live in an urban area, you might want to take a walk to the park, or a walk on your sidewalk).
- Stop every so often and ask children to be very still. Encourage them to use their senses. What do they hear? Smell? See? Feel? Discuss.
- As you take your walk, talk about what makes the earth beautiful, or not so beautiful (for example, litter). Record their responses in an observation log.
- Make a mural about your community. Review the discoveries children made on the nature walk and ask, What would you include on our mural? Make a list.
- Use the variety of art supplies to illustrate your community on paper.
Aug 09, 2011