Joan of Arc
- Grades: 3–5, 6–8
Joan of Arc has become a figure of legend, but she was also a real person: a young teenager in medieval France who believed she was on a mission for God to save her country and her king. Grade Levels: 5–8
- Take this quiz to see how much you already know about Joan of Arc.
- Joan of Arc was also known as
a. Jeanne d'Arc
b. the Maid of Orleans
c. both of these
- She was the daughter of
a. a French king
b. an English knight
c. a farmer
- How old was Joan when she first heard saints talking to her?
- At Orleans, Joan led the French to defeat the British.
c. She never went there.
- She was put on trial by the Church and tried for
Now go to http://www.distinguishedwomen.com/biographies/joanarc.html to find the correct answers.Most of what we know about Joan actually comes from the testimony at her trial. At http://members.aol.com/hywwebsite/private/joanofarc_domremy.html, read what people from her own town of Domremy, France, said about her. What facts were offered in the trial to determine Joan's character? Next to each fact, write a conclusion about her character the testimony was meant to support.
- Go to http://www.distinguishedwomen.com/ and choose another famous woman to research. Read the biography provided, then search for other information about her in the Scholastic Web Guide. Create a multiple-choice or true/false quiz about her life.