Introduction to the Poetry Unit
- Grades: 6–8
- Unit Plan:
- Be exposed to the format of a Poetry Slam.
- Hear several examples of unexpected poetry.
- Video: "Slam Nation" or Book: Hey You! C'mere: A Poetry Slam by Elizabeth Swados.
- Other possible selections are suggested on "My Best Books for Teaching the Poetry Slam" page.
Set Up and Prepare
- Preview the chosen introductory material and select specific scenes or Poems from the Slams.
- Get VCR or TV if necessary.
- Decide on class participation directions for each selected scene or poem. Example: Be ready to tell me what the poet says a hair cut is like. What mental picture is being presented?
Show or read the selected material. Discuss it with the class.
Did students enjoy the session? Which selection
did students respond to the most? How can I build on that response in
the coming lessons?
Observe student engagement and participation
in the discussion.