Introduction to the Poetry Unit
Expose students to nontraditional poetry!
- Grades: 6–8
- Unit Plan:
Increase the enjoyment of poetry by becoming aware of poetry's fun and flexibility.
- Be exposed to the format of a Poetry Slam.
- Hear several examples of unexpected poetry.
- Slam Nation documentary or the book Hey You! C'mere: A Poetry Slam by Elizabeth Swados.
- Other possible selections are suggested on "My Best Books for Teaching the Poetry Slam" page.
Set Up and Prepare
- Preview the chosen introductory material and select specific scenes or poems.
- Get DVD player or TV if necessary.
- Decide on class participation directions for each selected scene or poem. Example: Be ready to tell me what the poet says a hair cut is like. What mental picture is being presented?
Show or read the selected material. Discuss it with the class.
Did students enjoy the session? Which selection did students respond to the most? How can I build on that response in the coming lessons?
Observe student engagement and participation in the discussion.