Inkheart Discussion Questions
- Grades: 6–8
About this book
Grade Level Equivalent: 4.9
Lexile Measure: 780L
Guided Reading Level: R
Age: Age 11, Age 12, Age 9, Age 10
Genre: Adventure, Fantasy
Subject: Reading, Courage, Bravery, Heroism, Magic and Supernatural, Friends and Friendship, Honor
After reading Inkheart, use these questions to start a discussion with your students about the book. Also consider using any of these questions as a writing prompt.
- Of all the characters you've read about in books, which one would you most like to bring to life or meet in person?
- If you could enter a book for just one day, what book would you choose, and why?
- Secrets are a big part of the plot in Inkheart. Can you name other good books in which the main characters are keeping secrets from each other?
- Why does Mo keep his ability a secret from Meggie? Why has he never told her the truth about her mother?
- Why doesn't Dustfinger read the ending of the story when he has the chance in Meggie's bedroom? What stops him?
- Does Elinor like books more than she likes people? Has she truly been happy living alone with all her books? How does she change, and why?
- How does Basta's superstitious nature affect him and others? Why is he so superstitious?
- Why isn't Fenoglio afraid when he meets Capricorn? What do you think it would feel like for an author to see his characters in real life? Does Fenoglio ever fear his characters as much as the others do?
- Why does Fenoglio disappear at the end? Did he go into the book? If so, do you think he planned it?
- How many secrets can you identify in the story?
- Mo tells Meggie that "Most people don't stop to think of books being written by people much like themselves. They think that writers are all dead long ago..." Do you agree? Is Mo more connected to Fenoglio's story than the author is? Do you ever think about the author when you're reading a book?