The Human Body Project
- Grades: 3–5
- Students will comprehend concepts related to health promotion and disease prevention.
- Students will demonstrate the ability to access valid health information and health promoting products and services.
- Students will demonstrate the ability to practice health enhancing behaviors and reduce health risks.
- Students will demonstrate the ability to use interpersonal communication skills to enhance health.
- Students will demonstrate the ability to advocate for personal, family, and community health.
- Select a body system to investigate and research.
- Complete a hands-on project to demonstrate knowledge of a body system.
- Students will create a fact sheet to teach students about a particular body system.
- Students will rotate through stations to view and discuss human body projects (The Medical Artifact Museum).
- Use appropriate Internet resources to research and investigate assigned body systems.
- Present a research report to a group of peers.
- Be assessed on oral presentation skills.
- Successfully complete an MCAT assessment with a score of 85% or above (Medical Classroom Admission Test).
- Use research notes and medical tests to help dissect and identify various body system parts.
- Work with a medical specialist to help dissect and learn about various body system parts.
- Present conclusive findings from medical residencies with peers.
- Recruit and listen to health experts in their studied field.
Lesson Plans for this Unit
Lesson 1: Learning How the Body Works
Lesson 2: Researching the Human Body Systems
Lesson 3: Human Body Project Residency
Lesson Three: Human Body Project Residency is the culminating activity for this unit. It includes working with a medical specialist to help dissect/observe a mammal organ.
Books for Learning About the Human Body
- Ballard, Carol. Lungs: Injury, Illness and Health. Heinemann, 2003.
- Brynie, Faith Hickman. 101 Questions About Blood and Circulation. 21st Century, 2001.
- Brynie, Faith Hickman. 101 Questions About Food and Digestion. 21st Century, 2002.
- Brynie, Faith Hickman. 101 Questions About Skin That Got Under Your Skin...Until Now. 21st Century, 1999.
- Brynie, Faith Hickman. 101 Questions About Your Immune System. 21st Century, 2000.
- Cole, Joanna. The Magic School Bus Explores the Senses. Scholastic, 2001.
- Cole, Joanna. The Magic School Bus Inside the Human Body. Scholastic, 1990.
- DK Publishing. Skeleton. DK Children, 2004.
- DK Publishing. The Human Body. DK Adult, 1995.
- LeMaster, Leslie Jean. Cells and Tissues. Childrens Press, c1985.
- McPhee, Andrew T. Sleep and Dreams. Franklin Watts, 2001.
- Parsons, Jayne. Encyclopedia of the Human Body. DK Children, 2002.
- Seckel, Al. The Art of Optical Illusions. Carlton Books, 2000.
- Simon, Seymour. The Brain: Our Nervous System. HarperCollins, 2006.
- Simon, Seymour. Guts: Our Digestive System. HarperCollins, 2005.
- Simon, Seymour. Lungs: Your Respiratory System. HarperCollins, 2007.