Hot Dog Clown Trick
- Grades: PreK–K
- Unit Plan:
- Students will make a hot dog clown prop.
- Students will develop their own way of verbalizing the clown trick to others.
- Students will understand what clowns do.
- Students will make a trick hot dog.
- Students will plan what they will say and how they will act to do the clown trick.
- Students will perform the clown trick with other classmates.
- 24" length of string
- Clown books (See My Best Books for Teaching the Circus)
- Manila, 12" X 15" construction paper
- Red, 6" X 18" construction paper
Set Up and Prepare
Pre-cut paper and string
Day 1: Clowning
Step 1: Read a book about clowns. Explain that sometimes clowns play funny tricks on people and on other clowns.
Step 2: Demonstrate the following clown trick with a student volunteer.
Clown 1: Would you like a hot dog?
Clown 2: I would love a hot dog.
Clown 1: Here you go!
(Clown 1 gives Clown 2 a construction paper bun with a paper hot dog
[connected to a string] inside. Clown 2 tries to take a bite as Clown
1 pulls the string and runs off with the hot dog.)
Clown 2: Where did my hot dog go?
Clown 1: It ran away!
Step 3: Make the hot dog by cutting corners and points off of red 6" X 18" sheet of construction paper.
Step 4: Make the hot dog bun by cutting corners and points off of manila 12" X 15" sheet of construction paper.
Step 5: Fold bun in half lengthwise.
Step 6:Tape string to the hot dog, near the end. If the hot dog were on the ground, it would move like a pull toy.
Step 7: Place the red hot dog into the manila folded bun. Straighten the string so that it hangs off the end of the hot dog.
Step 8: Practice the trick with classmates. Each student will be Clown 1 and Clown 2. Each student must figure out the words they will say.
- Brainstorm other trick ideas.
- Have students find pictures of clowns and make a class clown collage.
Have students practice the clown trick on parents.
- Did the students laugh?
- Do students understand what clowns do?
- Do students see the word relationship between clown and clowning?
- Were students able to make the hot dog prop?
- Were students able to execute the hot dog clown trick?