Hey Teachers! Get to Know Me!
- Grades: 9–12
- Unit Plan:
- Develop collegial relationships with classmates
- Create a poem about their personal values, wishes, and dreams
- Introduce two classmates to the rest of the class
- Distribute Classmate Inventories to every student.
- Go over the directions:
–Write answers in the answer column.
–After filling in your answers, move around the room and find classmates with answers that match yours.
–Switch papers with classmates who have a matching answer, then sign each other's papers in the signature column.
–Each person can only sign your paper ONE time.
- After about 20 minutes, or when everyone has gathered as many signatures as possible, ask students to be seated.
- Invite students to take turns standing and introducing two classmates to the class, making sure to mention at least one fact they learned about them during the activity.
- Distribute the sample Bio Poem to each student.
- Read the sample and have the students follow along silently.
- Tell students how many answers you want them to include for each stem.
- Distribute notebook paper for each student to create his or her own Bio Poem by completing each stem.
- Ask for volunteers to read their poems.
Supporting All Learners
These worksheets are any-level-learner friendly. Make sure you fill out an inventory and walk around meeting your students. You'll be surprised at what you have in common.
Give students a blank Bio Poem to take home for their parents to complete. Offer extra credit to anyone who brings it back completed and signed by a parent, guardian, or older family friend.
- Participate in the Classmate Inventory activity.
- Write a Bio Poem.
- Has some of the students' shyness worn off?
- Are they more willing to speak to each other and to you?
- Have you memorized some names?
- Do you have an idea of who is extroverted and who is introverted?
- Do you now have some idea of who your stronger writers/spellers are?