Haiku: Poetry of the Samurai Warrior
- Grades: 6–8
This unit teaches the beautiful simplicity of Haiku, and introduces the peaceful ways of the Samurai. The unit begins with Internet research encouraging students to learn about the ancient Japanese Samurai, and ends with a cultural day where students exhibit their Haiku writings.
- Practice research skills using technology.
- Locate information using a variety of resources.
- Employ relevant pre-writing strategies and organizational techniques.
- Identify literary elements, such as mood and dominant impression.
- Respond to creative writing using interpretive, critical, and evaluative processes.
- Apply knowledge to create Haiku poetry.
- Create appropriate visual presentations.
Lesson Plans for this Unit
Students present their own Haiku and display visual presentations while enjoying a day of Japanese cultural activities.