- Learn the characteristics of a graph - Graphing
- Count from 1-20 - Counting
- Experience participating in a survey - Surveys/Graphing
- Collect and keep track of data - Surveys/Graphing
- Discuss and compare multiple pieces of data - Surveys/Graphing
- Analyze data - Surveys/Graphing
- Compare two or more quantities to determine which is more - Surveys/Graphing
- Develop language for comparing quantities. (Ex: greater, less, more, most, fewer, least, same and equal to
Lesson Plans for this Unit
Lesson 1: Survey of the Day
Lesson 2: How Do We Get to School?
Lesson 3: How Many Letters Are In Your Name?
At the end of the unit, have the children share one thing that they have learned about a classmate. As a challenge, ask the children if they can think of one thing that they have in common with someone else in the classroom. It has to be something that they have learned from one of the three lessons.
PRINTABLES FOR THIS UNIT
Chrysanthemum By Kevin Henkes
My Name is Yoon By Helen Recorvits
This Is The Way We Go To School: A book about children around the world By Edith Bauer
Wake Up, World: A Day in the life of children around the world By Beatrice Hollyer
It's Back to School We Go By Ellen Jackson
On the Go By Ann Morris