Getting the Best Out of Book Buddies
- Grades: 3–5
- Create a student-friendly definition for “mentor”
- Identify Traits of Success that a mentor displays
- Describe how they will be a mentor to their primary Book Buddy
- Examine literature of emergent readers
- Categorize types of common primary literature (i.e. wordless, pattern, alphabet, number, rhyme, etc.).
- Write a book about themselves using one of the identified types of literature
- Utilize the writing process when writing the book
- Apply the “Traits of Success” when they read their story aloud to their Book Buddy
Lesson Plans for this Unit
At our school, the partnership between Book Buddies continues throughout the year. Therefore, we celebrate at the end of the year with an outside activity, such as a field trip or picnic. If you are doing this unit without the Book Buddy component, having the students read their stories aloud to peers is a nice celebratory event.