Grade Levels: 5–8
- Grades: 3–5, 6–8
were the various jobs and occupations of Douglass throughout his life?
- What did Douglass do in connection with the Underground Railroad?
- What were two different issues in which Douglass became involved in his life?
- Explain the positions that he took on those issues.
- Next check out the short background of Douglass's life at http://www.history.rochester.edu/class/douglass/HOME.html. You will see beneath this text that his life is divided into five periods: The Slave Years (Early Life); The Beginnings of an Abolitionist; The Rochester Years; The Civil War Years The Fight for Emancipation; and Life After the 13th Amendment. Choose one of those five time periods and read about his life during that period.
- Take a separate piece of paper and write a short description of one of the experiences Douglass had during the time you select. Then imagine what it would feel like to be in his place and write about what thoughts or feelings you would have if you were Douglass. Would you feel scared? proud? determined?
Aug 09, 2011