Environmental Health Unit Plan
Students learn how to take better care of our air, land, and water to benefit human health and our planet.
- Grades: 1–2
Planetary environmental health is examined by investigating the causes and effects of over-consumption and pollution of our natural resources by humans and how to better care for our air, land, and water so that human health and our planet benefits.
Students will learn the origins of Earth Day and get recycling tips. Students will answer the question, What can you do to take better care of the earth so it takes better care of you?
- Identify examples of and uses for natural resources such as air, land, and water
- Understand factors that influence the health of an individual
- Describe ways in which a person's health may be affected by pollution
- Obtain information about a topic using a variety of visual resources such as pictures, graphics, television, maps, computer images, and literature
- Identify main ideas from oral, visual, and print sources.
- Express ideas orally based on knowledge and experiences
- Use a problem-solving process to identify a problem, gather information, list and consider options, consider advantages and disadvantages, choose and implement a solution, and evaluate the effectiveness of a solution
Lesson Plans for this Unit
Lesson 1: Earth Day, Every Day
Lesson 2: The Lorax by Dr. Seuss Lesson Plan
Lesson 3: Pollution Solutions