The Earth: An Interdisciplinary Unit
Learn about the geology of Earth with simple demonstrations, hands-on classroom activities, and a final project that asks students to plan a trip — inside Earth!
- Grades: 3–5
About this book
This interdisciplinary curricular unit focuses on the geology of the Earth. It contains background information, a detailed glossary, fun earth facts, literary references, and 20 hands-on activities for the classroom.
Over the course of the unit, students will:
- understand that Earth is a planet in constant motion
- understand that Earth is a planet constantly being
formed and transformed
- explore basic principles of geology
- develop an enthusiasm for investigating landscape
- collect, observe and classify rock samples
- understand that most materials come from Earth and its
- devise initiatives to care for Earth and save natural
- develop rational and creative thinking skills
- work co-operatively in groups
- Following directions
Lesson Plans for this Unit
Lesson 4: Lesson Four: The Earth, Layers of Earth
Lesson 6: Final Project: The Earth, Inside Earth
This unit plan has been adapted from "The Earth," Senior Topics, published by Ashton Scholastic in Australia.