By Jennifer Chandler
- Grades: 6–8
About this book
Grade Level Equivalent: 6.1
Lexile Measure: 870L
Guided Reading Level: W
Age: Age 11, Age 12, Age 13
Genre: Historical Fiction, Series
Subject: Changes and New Experiences, Chinese and Chinese American, Immigration
Students will review important skills while reading independently. All three lessons can be applied to any novel study. My class will read Dragonwings by Laurence Yep.
- Demonstrate the ability to read independently for extended periods of time in order to derive pleasure and to gain information.
- Make connections between a text read independently and their prior knowledge, other texts, and the world.
- Summarize, paraphrase, analyze, and evaluate what they read.
- Use graphic representations such as charts, graphs, pictures, and graphic organizers as information sources and as a means of organizing information and events logically.
- Use skimming and scanning techniques.
- Detect bias and identify propaganda techniques.
- Analyze an author’s use of static, dynamic, round, and flat characters; the structural elements of plot; flashback and foreshadowing; and point-of-view and tone.
- Identify the speaker in a literary work and recognize the difference between first- and third-person narration and between the omniscient and limited omniscient points-of-view.
- Determine pronunciation, meanings, alternate word choices, parts of speech, or the etymologies of words by using a dictionary and a thesaurus.
- Revise writing for clarity, sentence variety, precise vocabulary, and effective phrasing through collaboration, conferencing, and self-evaluation.
- Write and publish in a variety of formats.
- Continue using keyboarding skills to produce texts.
- Listen to recorded information as a member of a group.
- Use a variety of resources, including technology, to access information.
- Present their research findings in a variety of formats.
Lesson Plans for this Unit
Lesson 1: Dragonwings: Explore Chapters 1 - 5
Lesson 2: Dragonwings: Evaluate Chapters 6-9
Lesson 3: Dragonwings: Evaluate Chapters 10-12
The Group Newspaper Project