Don't Wake Up Mama! Extension Activity
In Don't Wake Up Mama!, five little monkeys try to surprise their mother with a birthday cake. In this bulletin board activity, children make birthday cards to save for their own mothers' birthdays.
- Crayons or Markers
- Construction paper
- Safety scissors
- Read Don't Wake Up Mama! out loud to your class. Point out to children that the five little monkeys are trying very hard to make their mother happy on her birthday.
- Tell children that in this activity they get to make their own mother happy by making her a card.
- Write "Happy Birthday" on the chalkboard so that children can use your writing as a model.
- Hand out construction paper, crayons or markers, glue, and glitter. Have safety scissors available in case children want to cut their cards into special shapes.
- Have children fold the construction paper in half. Ask them to write "Happy Birthday" on the front of the card. Encourage them to decorate the front of the card with their own drawings.
- Invite children to write their own special messages to their mothers on the inside of the card. Remind them to sign the card when they've finished their messages.
- Tell children that they can use these cards for their mothers' next birthdays. In the meantime, post the cards on the bulletin board.
Dec 31, 1969