The Cow That Went Oink Extension Activities
- Grades: PreK–K, 1–2
About this book
ANIMAL SOUND SPEECH BALLOONS
Talk about the speech balloons in the book. Invite children to make an animal sound mural.
- Brainstorm a list of animals. Read the list aloud and encourage children to make each animal's sound.
- Have children create a mural of the animals on their list. Help them to add speech balloons with the animals' sounds.
- Display the mural for everyone to enjoy. You may want to read it over together and have each child read the speech balloon he or she contributed.
CHIME IN ON ANIMAL SOUNDS
Read the story again, letting children provide the animal sounds and laughter. Encourage children to comment on the story characters and how they are feeling throughout the story.
- How do you think the cow feels when she hears the pig say moo?
- What do you think about the way the other animals are acting towards the cow and pig?
- How do you think the cow and pig are feeling at the end of the story?
ACT IT OUT
As you narrate the story, children can pretend to be the animals. Encourage them to behave like the animals in the story and to use the animals' movements and sounds.