Connotation: Effective Word Choice
- Grades: 6–8
- Identify and examine the concept of connotation.
- Differentiate between the connotative and denotative meaning of words.
- Interpret the connotative power of words.
- Write vivid, meaningful language.
- Demonstrate knowledge and control of the connotative power of words.
- Create a visual presentation to illustrate word power.
- Prepare and perform an oral presentation of completed work.
Lesson Plans for this Unit
Lesson 1: What's In a Name?
Lesson 2: Lions, Tigers, and Slugs? Oh, My!
Students will work with partners throughout the project, and will present their Sports Team posters to the class.